Sunday, February 5, 2017

 

Ban on 7 Muslim countries & what will happen to the Muslim students:

The current 'Trump's administration ban' is aiming to limit and discourage Muslims from traveling to America. Although the Trump administration has fiercely defended the fact that their 'ban is not on Muslims.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/31/512678699/trumps-immigration-order-is-not-a-ban-on-muslims-homeland-security-chief-says

Yet how would any Muslims not feel targeted by this racially and religiously bias 'ban?'

I've taught for 5 years at U.C.I. (University of California Irvine), and the demography of students that I had to deal with was from the Middle East. Recently, a question prompted by one of my students saddened me. He blurted puzzled, "Teacher! are we supposed to pack our bags now that Trump is president?"
I told him "of course no!" with a reassuring voice. When my student asked me this question, this past December, Trump had not been inaugurated. Yet, I was far from thinking that Trump was actually going to implement some of his extreme views and comments during his campaign against Muslims. Or maybe I was naive to think that Trump was just 'talking' and was not going to actually fulfill his extreme intentions. I was obviously wrong!! At least, I give "that" to Trump for keeping his word!!
Now, I just feel sad and concerned for all my students who are stuck back home not knowing whether or not they should take a chance and come back to America to study. I'm also thinking of my Kuwaiti and Saudi students who are facing the hesitations from their consulates/embassies. These entities are now facing a dilemma of maintaining their sponsorship active to assist their students while studying abroad in America, since Trump has mentioned that more countries may be added to the list:
http://fortune.com/2017/01/26/donald-trump-interview-abc/ 

While the ACLU is busy representing refugees and immigrants, due mainly to the 100 thousand visas that have been revoked since President Donald Trump's executive order on immigration and travel was signed on January 27.
who are representing the forgotten international students from these Muslim countries? Who is their voice?

No comments: